Media & Communications Internship
Student must have a passion for digital media, design and desire to learn brand positioning and communication strategies as they relate directly to Sports Marketing. Reporting to Director of Business Operations, the student take creative direction to produce, create and maintain digital content; media relations, as well as develop hockey related content for Junior A Hockey Team.
Rough Scope of Primary Duties
• Mange template driven website – ensure content is organized, consistent and current.
• Assist to maintain Social Media content, to include: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Youtube.
• Under direction – design, develop sell sheets and graphics based on branding strategy.
• Liaise with Hockey Operations on scheduling interviews or player appearances.
• Maintain and organize photo libraries or players, fans and every game day.
• Live tweet all Clipper Games (travel with team may be required)
• Develop game day inserts and media guides.
• Work with Hockey Operations on development of content relating to Camps, Schools, and Player Recruitment.
• Managing media databases and media monitoring.
• Assisting with game day media relations, administrative duties and Hockey ops.
Secondary Duties or other Projects of interest (candidate dependant)
• Manage, edit, and shoot weekly video segment (or other video content)
• Write and develop press releases and maintain Public Relations Strategy
Before you consider applying for the internship, please ensure you fulfil the following requirements.
Key attributes for the position are:
• Strong PC skills – Outlook & MS Office
• Sound working knowledge of Social Media
• Adobe CS (or other design) considered an asset
• Experience working with template driven Web Site (Word Press preferred)
• Strong work ethic & Ability to work under pressure
• Comprehensive writing skills
• Initiative, adaptability and ability to work independently
• Interpersonal and presentation skills
• Willingness to do a range of jobs with enthusiasm
Student will be exposed to all aspects of communications (and marketing) cycle, from concept to creation. How to use imagery to evoke emotions in fans, creating need or desire to attend games or further engage with the Club. Student will be a part of the creative process and learn how a strong communications platform can increase earned media and impact attendance.
Student will also be exposed to Sponsors, Media Personalities (and outlets) and Major Sponsors and Marketing community on a daily basis and expected to act in a professional manner at all times. In addition, student will receive in-depth experience bridging communications between front office and Hockey Operations.
The successful candidate(s) will commit to the whole season (28 games, plus playoffs = 5-6 months). If candidate is required to travel with team, stipend and all costs will be covered by the Club. The full schedule is available at www.nanaimoclippers.com , and be genuinely interested in a career in Sports Marketing and Communications (doesn’t have to be Hockey specific). The student will see greater benefit if they are able to work some day time hours as well, however the focus is on Home Games.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Paul German at firstname.lastname@example.org by not later than August 30th 2018.
PROMOTIONS AND MARKETING INTERNSHIP
Student must have a passion for Sports Marketing, in specific as it relates to Fan Satisfaction, Game Day/Event execution, Community Engagement and Marketing Strategies leading up to game day. Taking leadership from Director Business Operations and Event Services Manager, student will be utilized in a variety of Game Day activities, as well as development and execution of strategies to Market the Sport of Hockey.
Rough Scope of Responsibilities
• Help create in game promotions
• Coordinating minor Hockey groups and charitable organizations
• Source and obtain prizing for game-day giveaways
• Source and obtain quotes for products and services
• Testing on ice promotions
• Assist in writing Game Day script (where applicable)
• Recruit contestants for promotions
• Liaise with groups/sponsors on site for game day
• Prepare materials for promotions
• Coordinate game day staff
• Cash reconciliation and Game Day sales (tickets and souvenirs)
• Assist in group sales strategy
• Attend community appearances with mascot
• Game day staff duties: selling programs, liaise with fans, promo prep and execution
• Assist in planning and coordinating theme games
• Work with ticketing and marketing departments
• Duties as assigned
Secondary Duties or other Projects of interest (candidate & time dependent)
• Develop and Conceptualize & Execute:
o Community Engagement Programming (School visits, community events, etc.)
o Assist Pro Athletes with execution of Kids Camps and Marketing/Sales of Camps
• Game Note/Press Release development (Media Relations as directed by GM or Executive)
• Work independently
• Work on deadline
• Eye for detail & Trouble Shoot
• Communication and Writing Skills
• Passionate & Energetic
• Hard worker & Organized
• Microsoft Office (Excel & Outlook)
By the end of the internship, the student will have complete knowledge of all the intricacies involved in creating and running a game day situation. The student will have a solid over view of all involved departments in the functioning of Sports Marketing (from cradle to grave) including Ticketing, Marketing, Sales, Promotions, and Media Relations.
Additional opportunities may be made available to shadow other departments. During the internship, the student will be exposed to several networking opportunities directly with sponsors, ownership, athletes, and season ticket holders.
The successful candidate(s) will commit to the whole season (28 games, plus playoffs = 5-6 months). The full schedule is available at www.nanaimoclippers.com and be genuinely interested in a career in Sports Marketing (doesn’t have to be Hockey specific). The student will see greater benefit if they are able to work some day time hours as well, however the focus is on Home Games.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Paul German at email@example.com by not later than August 30th, 2018.